Since 1958, FFCA has served the chief fire executive of career, combination and volunteer departments. In 1993, the decision was made to open the membership up to any individual involved in fire and emergency services from the chief fire executive to the firefighter and to serve these members by establishing professional-interest sections where specialized programming is offered.
In 1994, FFCA’s Foundation, the Florida Fire Chiefs’ Foundation was established. Education programs are offered through the foundation’s Center for Fire and Emergency Services Leadership including the Emergency Services Leadership Institute (ESLI).
A board of directors composed of six regional directors and a five-member executive committee governs the association. There is a staff of five and two contracted lobbyists. The headquarters is located in Tallahassee.
FFCA represents over 2,200 members.